Helping Educators Shape the Future
Recent high-school graduates in Colorado are struggling to find meaningful work and direction with their higher education. At the same time, local business look to other states for skilled employees for high-pay, in-demand positions. CareerWise realizes that the job of preparing a highly-skilled workforce cannot lie solely on educators. By facilitating a relationship between schools and businesses and offering assistance on curriculum development, we’re aiming to help educators bridge the gap between education and workforce demands.
CareerWise apprenticeships require a student be out of the classroom for two or three full days each week, so working with districts on scheduling flexibility and graduation requirements is crucial. They also require collaboration regarding programs of study and coursework. Again, the task shouldn't be put solely on teachers, counselors, and administrators – and with CareerWise, it isn't. Our team works closely with districts to ensure a smooth process for students, businesses as well as educators and administrators.
Resources for Career Advising and Exploration
CareerWise believes that strong career advising and exploration are critical foundations for decisions about youth apprenticeship and other high-quality career and college opportunities. The resources below are some of our favorites. We'll continue to add to the list as we discover more.
- Career Conversations Starters, Colorado Department of Education
- ICAP Resource Page, Colorado Department of Education
- Colorado Talent Pipeline Report, Colorado Workforce Development Council
- Work-Based Learning: Promoting a Well-Rounded Education for All Students, College and Career Readiness and Success Center, American Institutes for Research
- Resources for Developing and Scaling Work-Based Learning, Jobs for the Future
- Learning that Works Resource Center, Advance CTE
- Colorado's Work-Based Learning Framework (draft), Colorado Workforce Development Council
- Colorado's Work-Based Learning Incubator Information, Colorado Workforce Development Council